Thursday, June 02, 2005

More details about the proposal...

Once the ring was ready (I had done so much research on that my brain hurt) I laid out the plan for the proposal.

I should start with a story that our friend Fred Pattison told me. His great Aunt Isabella and her beloved soldier friend were dating when he was called to war. He left her a farewell present and then departed. She was so heart-broken that he did not propose before he left that she never opened the present! She died of a broken heart years later. Meanwhile our soldier friend, never having heard from his beloved Isabella, was tragically killed in the war. Isabella's family were clearing her stuff and found this package. It was opened and it was a pair of gloves with a suspicious bulge in the left glove's ring finger. It was indeed a ring and it was the soldier's way of proposing!

So the plan was set... A rose arrived at Katie's work asking her to meet me at the War Memorial at 6pm. I met her there and after discussing about how we could wait for a bit before eating (phew) we started on our walk. Katie offered to put my jacket (which I was carrying) into my backpack and proceeded to open the bag... Wait! There's a gift for you (oops, well I can't keep a secret to save my skin) So our walk started with Katie's curiousity in full tilt. Major Hill's Park was blocked off for the Tulip Festival so a walk along the Ottawa River below Parliament Hill was decided.

I finally saw a bench that was empty and suggested we sit down. Out came the package and Katie was happy to open it. Toe Socks (they came with the gloves) emerged and she just loved this. A few minutes later I suggested that she should keep looking in the box, and so emerged the gloves (which matched the toe socks). A wrapped ring emerged from the left glove and tears were flowing. Katie unwrapped the ring which I promptly borrowed. I got on my knee and said: "This is the part when I get on my knee... I love you; You are the best thing to ever happen to me; Will you marry me?" While I uttered these words I was putting the ring on the wrong hand... oops! I corrected that nervously and with a bit of an embarassed look.

There was a brief stunned silence and finally she said Yes! Many more tears and 5 minutes later she was on the cellphone to her parents with the news. Now secretly I had made reservations at the Courtyard restaurant per a suggestion from Katie's Mom. We made it on time and of course the entire staff there knew about this. Bill and Barb (Katie's parents) had sent a card and a bottle of champagne to start off our meal! I had no idea and I really appreciated the surprise!!

A lot of people knew I was going to propose but I only really decided how just a few hours before the big event. As my Dad asked a few days prior: "Who doesn't know about all this (meaning the proposal)" I thought for a few seconds and replied "Just Katie!" Thank you everyone for keeping a great secret! - Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home